Join the 6th Annual Summit on LGBT Aging For North Texas this Saturday at The Senior Source in Dallas from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Since 2015, the Coalition of Aging LGBT has aimed to Improve and protect the quality of life of older LGBT adults in North Texas through community engagement and advocacy education.
According to the latest US Census, there are an estimated 194,451 members of the lesbian & gay* community aged 45 to 90+ living in the four largest counties of North Texas (Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, & Denton). Also according to the census, 27% of all people ages 65+ live alone. Many programs have been developed for non-LGBT aging citizens; however, access to these programs for LGBT citizens is a challenge because of continued discrimination and the inability or unwillingness of LGBT persons to live contrary to their orientation, that is, essentially to go back into the closet.
The Coalition for Aging LGBT holds hold its sixth annual Summit on LGBT Aging on April 22 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Senior Source, 3910 Harry Hines Blvd. The event features multiple workshop sessions and distinguished main speaker presentations from participating community leaders, organizations, and LGBT-supportive businesses.
“The Summit on LGBT Aging is a preeminent event for North Texas LGBT seniors to attend,” says the Coalition of Aging LGBT Board Chair Chris Wallace. “Every year, our planning committee brings new and exciting information, speakers, and resources to share with our community. We are really excited to host everyone at The Senior Source for this special event.”
Among the community building opportunities are:
- Updates on local and state legislative issues forecasted to impact the LGBTQ community.
- Helpful resources and educational information for seniors.
- Instructional seminars on navigating important issues such as cybersecurity, Social Security, Medicare and becoming a caregiver.
- The space to build community with leaders and inclusive community partners and businesses.
Featured speakers and presenters include:
- Tony Vedda of the North Texas LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Gary Sanchez, Director of Public Affairs at VisitDallas
- Jane Rogers, Co-chair of CfA LGBT Tarrant County Community Engagement Committee
- Angela Hale of Equality Texas
- David Najjab, Director of Institutional Partnerships at Gearbox Software
- Kimberly Knight, Director of Caregiver Support Program of The Senior Source
- Imelda Aguirre, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Manager of the Alzheimer’s Association Dallas and Northeast Texas Chapter
- John Dornheim & James Kleitches of Dallas County Health & Human Services
- Detective Ryan McCarrick of the Dallas Police Department
- Ashley Bloom of Edward Jones
- Armand Allen of Medicare Store by Agency4RED
- Shakita Johnson, Vice President of Community Investment of United Way Tarrant County
- DeeJay Johannessen, President/CEO of HELP Center for LGBT Health & Wellness
- Lorie Burch of Burch Law
- Shelly Skeen of Lambda Legal
- Jaime Duggan of Duggan & Associates, PLLC
- Craig McCartney, Columnist
- Chris Wallace, President/ CEO of the North Texas Commission & Board Chair of the Coalition for Aging LGBT
Tickets are $7. Register for the summit here.