With Donald Trump now an unindicted co-conspirator in multiple crimes against the United States, it is unconscionable that the Senate is still set to hold hearings for his right-wing nominee to the US Supreme Court.
“By taking up the Supreme Court nominee of a president implicated in high crimes against the American people, the Senate is assisting Trump in dissolving the rule of law in the United States,” stated Rea Carey, Executive Director of the National LGBTQ Task Force.
The Senate Judiciary Committee started hearings on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court today (September 4). The National LGBTQ Task Force reiterates it’s disapproval of Trump’s right-wing pick of Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court. And it is also shocking that the Senate is considering a Supreme Court nomination from a sitting president that is the unindicted co-conspirator in at least two felony convictions.
Yet, even if Trump was not under investigation, Kavanaugh is an extreme right-wing, anti-LGBTQ pick:
- Is backed by the anti-LGBTQ extremist group the Family Research Council.
- Has already sided with anti-abortion extremists: In one case he opposed a migrant teen’s access to abortion and stated that “Government has permissible interests in favoring fetal life.”
- Believes a president does not need to enforce laws they deem unconstitutional.
- Believes the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is unconstitutional.
- Praised by Ann Coulter who say Kavanaugh “has a terrific record as a judge.”
The National LGBTQ Task Force works to secure full freedom, justice, equality, and equity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people. For over forty years, we have been at the forefront of the social justice movement by training thousands of organizers and advocating for change at the federal, state, and local level. www.thetaskforce.org