The Curve Award for Emerging Journalists, sponsored by The Curve Foundation, will provide financial support to emerging journalists whose work fosters fair and accurate coverage, and elevates the voices of LGBTQ+ women. The award is open to lesbians, queer women, trans women and nonbinary people.
Applicants may nominate themselves or be nominated by another individual. To apply, applicants must complete the nomination form. Applicants should provide three work samples with their application. Applicants don’t need to be a member of NLGJA to apply.
As part of the fellowship award, fellows will receive:
- A $5,000 cash award from The Curve Foundation
- One-year complimentary membership to NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists
- Complimentary registration for the NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists Convention
- A stipend provided to cover the costs of attending the convention, including travel and lodging
- An opportunity to speak on a panel at the NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists National Convention
- A professional mentor selected by The Curve Foundation in conjunction with NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists
- Quarterly scheduled meetings with fellowship mentors and the cohort of fellows for brainstorming, feedback sharing, and support
The award is one of the inaugural programs for the recently-launched Curve Foundation.
“Building on 30 years of Curve, the world’s best-selling lesbian magazine, The Curve Foundation will empower and amplify voices of the Curve Community – lesbians, queer women, trans women, and non-binary people of all races, ages, and abilities,” according to a foundation press release.
The Curve Foundation will encourage and support active storytelling and cross-generational dialogue by supporting journalism in the tradition of Curve magazine, investing in the next generation of intersectional leaders, and bolstering existing community archives as a resource to ensure LGBTQ+ women’s culture and history can be known.”
The deadline to submit a nomination is May 17. The application is available here.
About NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists
NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ Journalists is a journalist-led association working within the news media to advance fair and accurate coverage of LGBTQ communities and issues. We promote diverse and inclusive workplaces by holding the industry accountable and providing education, professional development and mentoring. For more information visit www.nlgja.org.