A new groundbreaking skincare brand with a revolutionary blend of ingredients discovered in Antarctica offers relief to sufferers of eczema, psoriasis and rosacea.
With almost 40 million Americans suffering from these conditions and ineffective solutions, ARCTIVA™ has introduced a new line of clean, steroid-free skincare products that deliver medical-grade results using proprietary HYDROSURF™ glycolipid technology. Plus, ARCTIVA beats competitors by formulating solutions with vegan-friendly ingredients.
Queer Forty caught up with the folks behind the product to learn of its benefits.
Why do so many Americans suffer from eczema and psoriasis? Is it driven by certain factors such as race, environment, diet, lifestyle? Is it on the rise?
There are several factors that may contribute to the prevalence of eczema and psoriasis in the United States. Genetics, environmental factors, lifestyle choices and immune system function are all believed to play a role.
In terms of genetics, some people may be more predisposed to these conditions due to inherited genetic traits. Studies have shown that certain genes are associated with a higher risk of developing eczema or psoriasis.
Environmental factors may also play a role in the development of these conditions. Exposure to certain chemicals or irritants, such as detergents or fragrances, can trigger or exacerbate symptoms. Climate can also have an impact, with dry and cold weather worsening symptoms.
Additionally, the skin has a natural protective barrier that helps to prevent damage from external factors like UV radiation. When this barrier is breached, as in the case of sunburn, the skin becomes more susceptible to further damage and irritation.
In addition to physical damage, sunburn can also trigger an immune response in the skin, leading to inflammation and flare-ups in individuals with certain skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis.
As for the seasonal impact, some people with eczema or psoriasis may experience worsening symptoms during the spring and summer months due to increased exposure to pollen and other allergens. However, this varies from person to person and is not a universal experience.
Lifestyle choices can also contribute to the development or worsening of these conditions. Stress, poor sleep, and a diet high in sugar and processed foods have all been linked to an increased risk of eczema and psoriasis.
Additionally, aging can affect the skin barrier in several ways. Collagen and elastin are proteins that provide structure and elasticity to the skin. As we age, the production of these proteins decreases, which can lead to sagging and wrinkles. This can also affect the skin barrier, as a loss of elasticity can make the skin more vulnerable to damage and water loss.
Does age add to these conditions and is the likelihood of suffering later in life something to be aware of?
Both eczema and psoriasis can affect people of any age, although the likelihood of developing them may vary depending on a range of the factors mentioned above, including genetic predisposition and environmental triggers.
Eczema is more commonly diagnosed in infants and young children. It affects millions of children worldwide, with some studies suggesting that up to 20% of infants may be affected by the condition. However, it’s also possible to develop eczema for the first time as an adult.
In the case of psoriasis, it is often first diagnosed in people between the ages of 15 and 35. However, it can also affect older adults.
While age may be a factor in the likelihood of developing eczema or psoriasis, there are many other factors that may also play a role, including family history, immune system function, and exposure to triggers such as stress, infections, or certain medications.
If someone has a family history of eczema or psoriasis, or if they have concerns about risk for developing these conditions, it is always recommended that they talk to a healthcare provider. Medical experts can help understand your risk factors and provide guidance on how to manage symptoms or prevent flare-ups.
As mentioned in question one, for those that are already diagnosed with eczema or psoriasis, aging can have an impact on symptoms. In addition to affecting the skin barrier, aging can also cause dry and thinning skin, a weaker immune system, and changes in overall health, such as hormone levels. These factors can make eczema and psoriasis symptoms more prevalent and difficult to manage.
Does gender make a difference?
Eczema, often referred to as atopic dermatitis, is common among young adults and affects both genders. Experts have found that slightly more biological females are diagnosed with eczema than biological males. However, that could relate to more biological females seeking diagnosis of skin conditions versus. biological males. It’s also important to note that the prevalence of eczema varies depending on the specific population being studied—with factors including age, race/ethnicity and region all impacting its prevalence.
Psoriasis impacts approximately 2% of the global population, and we have not seen any research showing a higher prevalence based on gender. However, when it comes to severity of symptoms, some studies show that biological men are more greatly impacted by the skin condition.
Can you take us through the special ingredients unique to ARCTIVA?
All ARCTIVA products include 5 categories of ingredients:
1. An FDA-approved active ingredient proven to address the skin condition. In the ARCTIVA Eczema Cream the active ingredient is colloidal oatmeal. In the ARCTIVA Psoriasis Cream the active ingredient is salicylic acid.
Eczema: Colloidal oatmeal
§ Colloidal oatmeal is clinically proven to provide relief of symptoms often associated with eczema. It has several unique properties, including:
• Natural anti-inflammatory properties that can help to calm and soothe irritated skin
• Forming a protective barrier on the skin that helps to lock in moisture and prevent dryness
• Mild cleansing properties that can help to remove dirt and impurities from the skin without stripping away natural oils
• Relieving itching and discomfort associated with conditions like eczema
Psoriasis: Salicylic acid
§ Salicylic acid is a BHA or beta-hydroxy acid that works as a gentle exfoliant commonly found in psoriasis treatments. It works inside the pores to help regulate cell turnover and manage the keratinization or shedding of dead skin cells, including dryness, scaling, and flaking. Because it’s oil soluble it works well for calming sensitive, irritated psoriatic skin. Salicylic acid is clinically proven to provide relief of psoriasis symptoms, including: Itching, Irritation, Redness, Flaking, Scaling.
2. HYDROSURF glycolipid technology to enhance absorption, hydration, exfoliation and soothe inflammation.
o HYDROSURF is a powerful blend of fermented ingredients discovered in the depths of nature, including the glacial lakes of Antarctica. Unlike other products with ingredients that sit on the surface and mask skin conditions, HYDROSURF delivers relief to the source of pain and irritation, leaving skin hydrated and healthy. It is ONLY found in ARCTIVA skincare products, and enhances the formulations in 4 keyways: 1. Boosts absorption to get the source of irritation; 2. Improves hydration with better moisture retention; 3. Stimulates exfoliation for better skin vitality; 4. Helps the body respond to skin inflammation
• In independent, third-party consumer studies, 91% of eczema patients saw improvement in irritation within 28 days (about 4 weeks). 89% of psoriasis patients saw softer, smoother skin within 60 days.
3. Key vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin B3 (niacinamide) and vitamin C, encourage collagen production and support immune defense for firmer, more radiant skin.
4. Essential oils, including jojoba oil and vitamin E, for healing properties that soothe and refresh skin.
5. Botanicals, including Lonicera flower extracts for antioxidants that promote skin health.
• It’s important to note that all products are steroid-free, clean-label, vegan and cruelty-free. They have no fragrance, sulfates, parabens or phthalates, and are manufactured right here in the U.S.
ARCTIVA helps consumers stop wasting time and money on products that sit on the surface and mask skin conditions. The unique formulation is designed to deliver deep relief to the source of your pain and irritation for results that are hard to beat.
Are there any lifestyle changes needed when using the ARCTIVA product?
ARCTIVA is a natural, topical skincare product that is designed to provide relief for skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema and other forms of dermatitis. It is pediatrician and dermatologist recommended and safe for daily use.
While there are no specific lifestyle changes that are required when using ARCTIVA, there are a few general recommendations that can help to optimize the effectiveness of the product:
1. Avoid triggers: If consumers have a known trigger for their skin condition (such as certain foods, fabrics, or environmental factors), they should try to avoid these triggers as much as possible. This can help to prevent flare- ups and reduce the severity of symptoms.
2. Moisturize regularly: Keeping skin well-hydrated is an important part of managing skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. ARCTIVA can be used as a gentle moisturizer multiple times a day to help keep skin soft and supple. (Note: A little goes a long way—because HYDROSURF enhances absorption and hydration, it is best to apply the creams in small amounts and softly rub them in until fully absorbed.)
3. Practice good skin hygiene: Keeping skin clean and free of dirt and bacteria can help to prevent infections and reduce the risk of flare-ups. Be sure to use gentle, fragrance-free soaps and avoid scrubbing or rubbing skin too vigorously.
4. Manage stress: Stress can be a trigger for many skin conditions, so finding ways to manage stress can be an important part of managing symptoms. This might include activities like meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises.
We always recommend that consumers talk to their healthcare provider before starting any new skincare product or making significant changes to their lifestyle. These medical experts can help determine the best course of action based on individual needs and circumstances.